Standard 7 - Requirement (3) (d)
The workforce is recruited, trained, equipped and supported to deliver the outcomes required by these standards.
Intent of this requirement
This requirement covers the organisation’s support for the workforce to deliver the outcomes for consumers in line with the Aged Care Quality Standards. Meeting this requirement will support the workforce in their day-to-day practice and can protect against risk and improve the care outcomes for consumers.
When recruiting, organisations should identify the specific requirements of roles and reflect on the outcomes required by these Standards. It’s expected that workforce induction prepares members of the workforce for their role. The organisation needs to make sure members of the workforce are supported, skilled and ready to carry out their roles.Where appropriate, members of the workforce should be supervised until they can show that they have the competence they need to carry out their role unsupervised.
It’s expected that members of the workforce receive the ongoing support, training, professional development, supervision and feedback they need to carry out their role and responsibilities.
Organisations need to review the training, learning and development needs of the workforce regularly and when practices change. It’s expected that organisations support members of the workforce to take up training, learning and development opportunities, so they can meet the needs of their role.
- Does the organisation’s current recruitment, training programs, workforce support and resources meet the outcomes required by these Standards?
- Are recruitment processes fair, reasonable and transparent?
- When a third party carries out recruitment and checks on new employees, how does the organisation make sure that practices and checks are complete and satisfactory?
- How does management of the organisation learn about and respond to members of the workforce who feel they don’t have enough training or support to do their job and aren’t meeting these Standards?
Examples of actions and evidence
- Consumers say they are satisfied that the organisation trains, supports and prepares its workforce enough.
- Consumers say they have confidence in the ability of members of the workforce that deliver their care and services.
- Consumers say they can take part in training of members of the workforce who provide their care and services to make sure the way they deliver the care and services meets their needs, goals and preferences.
Workforce and others
- The workforce can describe the training, support, professional development and supervision for them to be able to carry out their role.
- The workforce can describe how they give input and feedback to the organisation about their training and support needs and how to improve the training and support provided.
- Management of the organisation can describe how they work out what training will be needed for the workforce in line with new or the changing needs of their consumers.
- Evidence of effective recruitment and selection processes and appropriate checks being undertaken for the workforce. This includes police and reference checks.
- Records of selection and interview processes that check the accuracy of applications.
- Evidence of induction and other training and development programs for all members of the workforce relevant to these Standards.