Standard 6 - Requirement (3) (d)
Feedback and complaints are reviewed and used to improve the quality of care and services.
Intent of this requirement
The organisation is expected to have a best practice system to manage feedback and complaints. Organisations should use this system to improve how they deliver care and services.
As well as encouraging complaints and asking for feedback, the organisation should provide timely feedback to the organisation’s governing body, its workforce and consumers on complaints and the actions the organisation took. It’s expected that the organisation will use information from complaints to make improvements to safety and quality systems and regularly review and improve how they manage complaints.
- How does the organisation monitor, analyse and use feedback and complaint data to improve the quality of its care and services?
- How does the organisation share what it has learnt?
- How does it share improvements that have come out of feedback or complaints internally and with other relevant organisations?
- How does the organisation involve consumers and the workforce in reviewing information from feedback and complaints to improve their care and services?
Examples of actions and evidence
- Consumers and their representatives are confident the organisation uses feedback and complaints to improve the quality of their care and services.
- Consumers can describe a range of ways they can be involved in finding solutions to issues that they have raised in feedback or complaints.
- Consumers can describe how the organisation informs them of processes available to escalate complaints if required.
- Consumers can describe ways that the organisation has learnt from complaints and made improvements to their service.
Workforce and others
- The workforce can describe how the organisation records, analyses and acts on feedback and complaints to improve the quality of their care and services.
- The workforce can describe how feedback and complaints are used to improve the quality of car and services delivered.
- Workforce orientation, training or other records show how organisation supports the workforce in using feedback complaints to continuously improve the service.
- Evidence that the organisation monitors feedback and complaints.
- Evidence that complaints are escalated so that they go to a member of the organisation with authority to make a change.
- Evidence of how the organisation monitors, reports and keeps improving its performance against this requirement.